Curried Chicken Salad with Cucumber and Tomato Salad
This is a great colorful summer supper that anyone can make! It is relatively quick to prepare and even faster if you have a rotisserie chicken. The chicken salad is full of flavor but not too spicy for our delicate taste buds and is balanced nicely by the refreshing cucumber and tomato.
Curried Chicken Salad:
3 whole cooked chicken breasts (can be roasted, grilled or rotisserie; I grilled mine in a foil packet with onions, olive oil, salt and pepper)
1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbs. curry powder
1 cup medium-diced celery (about 2 large stalks)
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1 cup whole roasted, salted cashews
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 1/2 tps salt
1Tbs cayenne pepper
1. Remove the skin of the chicken and cut into bit size pieces.
2. For the dressing combine the mayonnaise, curry powered, salt and cayenne pepper in the food processor until smooth (feel free to add more or less cayenne pepper depending on how spicy you like your curry!)
3. Chop apples into bite size pieces and combine with chicken.
4. Add dressing to chicken and apples.
5. Add the celery and scallions.
6. If you have time, refrigerate for a few hours
7. Add cashews and slivered almonds and serve at room temperature in a boat of romaine lettuce for extra crunch!
Cucumber and Tomato Salad: makes 2 servings
1/4 of a red onion
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1. Seed, peel and chop a cucumber to desired size. Combine with 1 chopped tomato.
2. Combine red onion, olive oil and red wine vinegar.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Toss cucumber and tomato pieces in dressing and enjoy!