Sunday, June 17, 2012

Herb Plants

Spices and herbs bring out the best flavors in the food we cook, so I figured I'd start the first "food" post with the plants from which they came.  I'll begin with a quote from one of my favorite movies: "Aragorn: 'Sam, do you know the Athalas plant?'  Sam: 'Athalas?' Aragorn: '[Otherwise known as] kingsfoil'  Sam: 'Kingsfoil! That's a weed!'"  As we all know, this so called "weed" saves Frodo's life, as does the amiable and heroic character, Samwise Gamgee the Brave.  (If you haven't noticed by now, not only am I a cook, but an extreme nerd!)  So the plants that may not look the best, or have the greatest reputation, could save a dish from near disaster.  And although we live in Ohio where the winter is harsh, and we must make due with the dried stuff for the greater half of the year, fresh from the garden is always better!
Here are my two pepper plants (bell and cayenne) and my tomato plant:

The following is my beautiful Basil plant:
And the rest can speak for themselves! (Although I must say, they smell delicious)
thyme

rosemary

lavender

curry (mmmmm.....)
So, I'm hoping to plant these when we get to Kenyon, however I have no idea how forgiving the terrain is at the Morgan apartments.  Also, I don't know how often I'll remember to water them once I start to use my brain again.  Even if I don't, they should last well into the winter at the rate they are growing now!

No comments:

Post a Comment