Monday, August 13, 2012

Green Beans and a Poached Egg

So, with leftover lemon-hazelnut pesto, I had to find a way to use it AND the green beans that were a day away from going bad in my fridge.  So I used a variation of this recipe in order to "kill two birds with one stone" (as you can tell, I HATE wasting food).  So, this started with the first challenge: I've never poached an egg. Can you believe it? I've cooked dozens of incredibly complicated recipes, but never even poached an egg!  And I'll let you in on a little secret.  I was nervous.  For something my 87-year-old grandpa does everyday. I started with boiling some water, then cracking an egg into a little ramekin.  Then, with the bottom of the ramekin in the water, I poured the egg in and let the white whiten.  I kept it in there for approximately four minutes:
While this was happening, I cooked my green beans in the leftover pesto:
Then look how beautiful the egg turned out!
And the beans:
And, lastly, the finished product:
The egg dripping over the beans was a wonderful texture.  However, if I were to make this again (which I would-I mean, protein and veggies? My two favorite food groups!), I wouldn't use such a lemon-flavored pesto.  It doesn't go well with the egg; the acidity was too much for the subtle buttery flavor of the yolk.  But I'm sure a regular pesto would be fantastic. Be sure to finish by adding some freshly cracked pepper on the egg-it's the only way to have it!




No comments:

Post a Comment