Monday, August 13, 2012

Stuffed 8-ball Zucchini

While at the farmer's market on Saturday, I finished selling my granola and then made my "rounds" at the end of the day.   I complimented a nice lady on the 8-ball zucchini she was selling-they were beautiful!  Not only did she say thank you, but she gave me four! So I tried to do my best to make the free food worth it.  I used this recipe and it proved only...okay. I guess things don't always turn out like the picture!  I started by scooping out the flesh at and sautéing it:
 
Then I added cooked rice, chopped basil, sun-dried tomatoes that had been soaked in hot water and chopped, pine nuts, minced garlic and kalamata olives:
After sauteing the mixture, I stuffed it into the zucchini (there was a fair amount left over) and baked it at 400 for 20 minutes:
 
I didn't like this recipe because the sauteed mixture was incredibly watery and even after 20 minutes in the oven, the shells felt uncooked and flavorless.  There was not enough garlic flavor or salt from the olives and tomatoes.  So, if you do feel the desire to make (and fix) this recipe, I would add some more flavor of your own, drain the mixture, and roast for TWICE as long.  It was definitely an experience and one worth learning from!
*The key to being efficient is to make sure that your ingredients are in the state that they are stated in the ingredient list! If it asks for cooked rice, be sure to cook your rice before you start anything else in the recipe :)


No comments:

Post a Comment